Pedro I the Justicer of Portugal 15867
- Born: 18 Apr 1320, Coimbra, Portugal
- Marriage (1): Inez de Castro on 1 Jan 1354 in Braganza
- Marriage (2): Teresa Gille Lourenco
- Died: 18 Jan 1367, Estremoz, , …vora, Portugal
Pedro I of Portugal, king of Portugal (in English, Peter I), sometimes known as Pedro the Cruel, was the son of Afonso IV of Portugal by his wife, princess Beatrice of Castile. Pedro I succeeded his father in 1357.
Pedro is chiefly known for his love of InÍs de Castro, the Hispanic maidservant that his father had killed in 1355. Pedro certainly led at least two revolts against his father before acceeding to the throne. Once he was king he announced that he had married InÍs de Castro in secret and that she, despite dead, was Queen of Portugal. This fact is based only in the king's word.
As King, Pedro was a surprising success. True he brutally murdered the killers of InÍs de Castro, but he also persecuted felons of all classes, and instituted reforms to free the Portuguese Crown and Church from Papal intervention. His wife, Constanza, had been a Castilian princess, and it was for this reason, Pedro joined an Aragonese invasion of Castile-Leon.
Pedro's marriages and descendents:
First wife: Branca, princess of Castile (divorced).
Second wife: Constance, princess of Castile (1320-1349),
- LuŪs (1340)
- Maria, princess of Portugal (1342-1367), married to Ferdinand, prince of Aragon
- Fernando, king of Portugal (1345-1383).
InÍs de Castro (third wife?) (1320-killed, 1355),
- Beatrice, princess of Portugal (1347-1381)
- Jo„o, prince of Portugal (1349-1387)
- Dinis, prince of Portugal (1354-1397)
- Jo„o I, king of Portugal (1357-1433). 2598
His birthdate is also recorded as 08 April 1320.
Noted events in his life were:
ē Acceded: King of Portugal, Algarve, 1357.
Pedro married Inez de Castro, daughter of Pedro Fernandez de Castro and Beatriz de Portugal, on 1 Jan 1354 in Braganza. (Inez de Castro was born in 1320 and died in 1355.)
Pedro and Inez were first married in a secret marriage. They were remarried in an open ceremony in 1354 at BraganÁa.
Pedro next married Teresa Gille Lourenco.